Saturday, August 2, 2014

Finally retired!

Thursday, 7/31/2014, I retired! This is one more step in our full-timing process. I've only worked about 50 years! Wow! I guess it is time to stop! I had a great day on Thursday. So many people came by to say goodby and wish me well. My "guys" gave me a Camping World gift card that I'll use for a back up camera. I'll miss them all. There are so many talented, friendly and caring folks at Lockheed Martin. I'm proud of my nearly 29 year career there. Although I'll miss everyone at LM, I'm anxious to start the next phase of my life. That is, start traveling! The heat and humidity here in SE Georgia is a huge contributing factor to the anxiety. If I wasn't receiving some Chiropractic procedures for a pinched nerve condition, I'd hook up the truck and pull our little home on wheels out of here and head for a cooler climate! Although I am feeling much better and tempted to cancel the rest of my treatments in order to hit the road, I should probably complete them. So, that will put us on schedule, which is to leave on August 14th and slowly meander towards Berryville, AR.
Besides, I have chores to do and a few friends to visit before pulling up stakes. I need to build a cabinet to house all of Maggie's food, leashes and other paraphernalia. Yesterday, I started a project to secure the skirt of the RV. The factory simply ran screws through the thin sheet metal and wind and vibration can rip the metal loose. So I'm putting in more screws and using large fender washers on them. I'm also going to install a wine cooler. Hey! It only hold 18 bottles, so that still qualifies as primitive camping, right? :-) I also need to buy and install some good mud flaps on the truck. Dirt and rocks thrown up from the tires can make a mess and damage the front of the RV. So, even though I no longer live in a S&B (Sticks & Bricks) home, I still have "home" projects to work!    

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations again on your retirement! I hope your back mends quickly so you can really enjoy traveling. And 18 bottles of wine does not qualify as primitive camping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wine cooler looks neat. I was reading the box, dual temp control for red and white.....fancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for being our shipping depot, Cory! It cooled down quickly and looks good!

      Delete
  3. And no garage full of stuff to do these chores either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No garage, John, but I still have chores! However, they're more fun chores!

      Delete
  4. Definitely finish up your chiro appointments. Hard enough finding a good place for a haircut :-) Before long you two will be on the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Laurel. I'm feeling better, but skipping the appointments could be trouble shortly after leaving here.

      Delete