Friday, August 15, 2014

Started our adventure!

For a while, it seemed like we would never get started on our new adventure. We had a couple of unexpected stops to make before we could leave and we had a lot of stuff to store and make ready for the trip. Ordinarily, when we had been camping previously, we would put away unnecessary items the day before or even sooner. Since we were still working on upgrades to the RV and had many visits from friends and family, we were not prepared. I like to keep my cargo area organized, but I ended up throwing everything in there. I was thinking too, I'll have to be careful when opening the door because I could have stuff falling out.
The drive was uneventful and we only made one stop for Maggie to do her thing.

Another reason for the late start was because I wanted to weigh our rig. The weigh receipts are out in the truck, so I don't have the exact readings. Basically, we are fat! I only glanced at the receipt and mad a quick mental calculation, but we are about 1000 pounds overweight. The camper axles are under weight and the truck capacity is enormous, so we are under weight there. However, the total weight of camper is over. And, I really don't see any way to get it in line. I hope the frame is over engineered!

We are at Lake Tobesofkee Recreational Area in Bibb County, Georgia in the city of Macon. This is a beautiful park, but it is more suited to smaller rigs. Because I had to turn sharply to get into the site and because my truck toolbox is too big, I had trouble maneuvering. So, I had to stop in the road and remove some of the stuff in the bed of the truck to allow me to use the sliding hitch mechanism. That allows the pivot point to move back a foot or so. So, after getting the camper into the site, I activated the automatic levelers. Well, the front of the camper ended up nearly on the ground and the aft levelers were hanging in the air!
I had to do some manual manipulation of the system and place wood blocks under the rear levelers. When I then pushed the auto level button, the system was able to make it happen.
The site is nice overall.


There is a picnic table that is steel and PVC coated, so you know it is a very expensive table. However, it is covered in black mold, fungus, whatever! They also have a grill and a fire pit on each site. We are not lakeside, but we can see the lake from the site. 


Last night we took a walk after supper. The park is hilly and beautiful. However, the beauty is spoiled by litter. Every where you look, you see litter. There are cigarette butts and wrappers on our site and other trash elsewhere. At the KOA that we left yesterday, someone was continually picking up trash. Maybe they need a work camper here!

This morning, I woke about 0530, cranked up the coffee pot and took Maggie outside. It is a beautiful feeling 64 degrees. There is an eerie looking fog floating over the lake. Unfortunately, that wonderful 64 degree start to the day will be ruined by a predicted high of 93 degrees! 

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your next adventure in your life. I know you will enjoy it to the fullest. I am sure we will run into y'all somewhere and looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon! Hope we will run into y'all sometime.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear you're fat, Joe. ;) Keep the blogs coming so we can live vicariously through your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well maybe they need a handyman that wants to shed some lbs. but don't get to busy that you don't enjoy all the wonderful things all around you. We are so excited for you two in this new adventure in your lives and can't wait for you to adventure this way. Hope the KOA here is a little cleaner for you. Love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much friggin wine did you store that your 1000 lbs overweight?!!!!
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously not enough since there is wine on our shopping list! :-)

      Delete
  5. So glad you made it to your first destination without a hitch (no pun intended!). We are (were) about 900 #'s overweight, so we changed our tire pressure to compensate. You'll have to ask George about that :) We've been in sites like that where the front of the RV was on the ground. Had to use lots of blocks for the front!

    ReplyDelete